Menu

TVP Oatmeal

STOCK PHOTO
This is actually a great way to be able to eat Hot Cereal! I have been battling with morning sugars already, but, I was at 160 before eating and 2 hours later I was at 140 after eating this.

I make it on the stove top and it turns out great. I remember when I was little my mom putting chopped apples or raisins in my sister and I's oatmeal. I may have to do that with this (in moderation) but overall it tastes great!

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 5 hours

Total Time: 5 hours, 5 minutes


Ingredients:

  • 2 C TVP granules  (What is TVP?)
  • 1 quart unsweetened soy milk (can use coconut milk or other milk)
  • 1 T cinnamon
  • 1 t nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 T vanilla
  • Or adjust the above seasonings to your taste
  • Sweetener to taste
  • Optional: Whisk in eggs. 4 eggs makes it more like rice pudding.

Preparation:

Mix all ingredients in crockpot, large saucepan/Dutch oven, or large covered casserole dish (be careful about this - when I tested it in the oven, it overflowed).

Cooking Times


  • Crockpot/Slow Cooker: It will be cooked in about 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low, but you can let it go longer and it won't hurt it.
  • Oven: About 1 hour at 350 F.
  • Stovetop: Bring to boil, then simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally - you should know by looking when it's done.
    • It says 30-45 Minutes but it honestly does not take this much time. I cook it until most of the liquid has dissipated and then add my diced apples and milk and sweetener and enjoy :) 
Carb Count: Assuming unsweetened soy milk and liquid sweeteners (zero carbs), the entire recipe has about 36 ECC and makes about 6-10 bowls of "oatmeal", depending upon the size.


Please Note: The 'ECC' is from the original recipe, I have the full nutrition facts listed below.  I feel we should have the full details and we can decide for ourselves if we want to calculate ECC/Net Carbs etc on our own. 
What is TVP? 
TVP® (Textured Vegetable Protein) is made from reduced-fat soy beans and is used to replace or extend ground meats. It is also added to casseroles to add extra flavor and nutrition.


This recipe analysis does not include the sweetener or any adjustments you may make. 

Servings: 2

  • Per Serving
    • Calories: 389
    • Total Fat: 1g
    • Carbohydrates: 32.7g
      • Dietary Fiber: 18.3g
      • Sugar: 13.6g
      • Net Carbs: 14.4g
    • Protein: 48.5g


No comments:

Post a Comment